Monday, June 2, 2014

My hometown

       Today was one of those days when I am in flying mode ,had to travel to mangalore my hometown to sign some papers and return back to Mumbai ,funny when I call mangalore my hometown I feel a little confused coz for me mangalore has always been my mom's and dad's hometown.I am born and bought up it Mumbai for me home can only mean Mumbai.
       Whenever I fill any forms i have to call mangalore my hometown actually isn't mangalore more my ancestral hometown . why can't I call Maharashtra my hometown where I was born ,bought up ,married ,had my kids here ,infact my kids are grown here too .yes I belong to a democratic country and I am allowed to move anywhere in India freely ,but still when asked abt my hometown I have to say mangalore.
     Today when I travelled to mangalore I loved everything about the place, the greenery the fresh air the innocence of that place but I couldn't connect to it, I was a stranger to mangalore ,and mangalore was a stranger to me.I was one lost soul there. My parent come here often and when they are here ,they are so happy they recognise every tree ,every path ,every lane ,every person. They have so many memories here while for me there is absolutely no memories here.i know I spent a lot of holidays here in my childhood ,visited every possible temples,for us mangalore has always been all about Puja's and temples and sometimes that really got to me. I know in mangalore I become someone I am not ,maybe that is the reason why I can never connect to this place . For me home will always be Mumbai. My birth place the place I took my 1st step the place I learnt to speak,had my crush ,heart breaks ,education ,marriage ,children. Every memory of mine is connected to Mumbai,the good bad and the ugly. Mumbai is where my home is ,my heart is,wherever I go I will always be a mumbaikar whatever my hometown be..
     
     

1 comment: